As the above drawing by Andy Singer illustrates, think tanks are necessary and we need one on the left as well as on the right. If you have made it this far into our website, you probably agree with us that the United States is off course in several significant ways. Unfortunately, the nicely paid positions are for those justifying we stay off course. Because we do not accept corporate contributions, we cannot afford a formal “think tank,” but we can try with this poor man's think tank to give you some ammunition for fighting the good fight.
Be aware that facts alone are insufficient or we would not be where we are now. There has to also be some emotional involvement. While I don’t have any magic formulas, it is good to add references to your articles and Facebook or other social media contributions to boost their credibility. (For instance, "Anthony is absolutely correct! -Your comments - See web-link) Start at NPA Weblinks below, other resources are listed below that.
If anyone has suggestions for additions to these books, videos, or websites, then please email me at email@example.com
1. Make your case with weblinks.
2. Make your case with the United Nations.
3. Make your case with art.
4. Make your case with books.
5. Make your case with radio.
6. Make your case with videos, movies, and memes.
7. Make your case with the Unified Platform.
1. Make your case with weblinks.
A. NPA Weblinks - Start here.
Start here because these 16 areas are continuously updated. The big advantage of using these 16 articles is the extensive references (over 10,000) which I keep updating so readers can see and document a continuing and expanding trend rather than one isolated incident. This also gets the reader on the NPA website.
In addition to the below 16 areas you may be looking for documentation on a specific person or organization. Here is a resource for that: Don’t Let These People or Organizations Fool You. For those who think the answer is to reform the democrats from within see The Democratic Party is the More Effective of Two Evils. The below 16 areas are continuously updated.
- Civil Rights In addition to documenting other civil rights violations, we have provided specific references documenting torture.
- The Economy - If you want to advocate about a specific part of the economic problem, I have provided separate references for banks, democrats, employment - including real percentages, the rise of temporary employment without benefits and the demise of retirement; inequality, social security and medicare, taxes including increasing privatization and our declining infrastructure, and disastrous trade agreements including the TPP (Trans Pacific Partnership).
- Economic Graphs - A graph summarizes a great deal of information in a short easily understandable space. This provides various graphs you can use in the following categories: It is that bad, inequality is rising, The rich pay less, There is enough money and we are not overspending on the poor, education, labor, video, and other insights.
- Education In addition to other references, we have provided specific references documenting the anti-education actions of the Democratic Party.
- Election Reform – one of the ten goals of the Unified Platform
- Environment - If you want to advocate about a specific part of the environmental problem, I have provided separate references for climate change, coal, cost, Democrats Are Not the Answer, fracking and natural gas, Gulf of Mexico and the BP oil spill, Monsanto and bees, nuclear energy, oceans, transportation of dangerous fossil fuels including the XL and other pipelines, water and the feasibility of going with renewable energy.
- Health Care
Our Crumbling Infrastructure In addition to other references about our crumbling infrastructure, we have provided specific references documenting education, the internet, the power grid and clean energy, roads and bridges, and the Post Office.
- Press In addition to other references, we have provided specific references documenting the sad fall of the New York Times as a journalistic standard.
- Diminishing Transparency
- Continuous Wars In addition to other references, we have provided specific references documenting Gaza War.
- The War on Whistleblowers
- Widespread Police Misconduct and an Expanding Prison Population
B. Other Weblinks
- Age of Ignorance
- Alan Maki’s Blog http://thepodunkblog.blogspot.com/ Alan is a labor leader and Minnesota member of the NPA
- And Have Not Love – an excellent description of the democrats blowing the 2010 election - http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/03/13/954753/-And-have-not-love#
- Chris Hedges
- NPA Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/pages/New-Progressive-Alliance/172365886150915?sk=wall&filter=1
- United Nations Universal Declaration of Rights has 7 pages and 30 Articles of worthy goals at http://www.un.org/en/documents/udhr/
- UN’s evolving “Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights.”
C. Weblinks of NPA Allies
Weblinks of NPA Allies can be found here.
2. Make your case with the United Nations
The New Progressive Alliance has been in special consultative status with the United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs (DESA) Council since 2015. The NPA is a U.N. NGO (Non-Governmental Organization). For the latest link to DESA NGO News see NPA News. If you would like to investigate participating with the New Progressive Alliance in UN activities with meetings or submitting papers, then just email us. See So You Want to Volunteer for the United Nations.
3. Make your case with art.
Using strictly logic no matter how persuasive and documentation no matter how extensive sways few. We need to be flexible in using music, plays, and other arts to plant seeds. Hollywood and sophisticated painters of reality have huge budgets, but while we can't do everything, we can do something. Below are two plays written by Jeff and Rose Roby, a couple that have devoted a lifetime to changing our world for the better. Also below is a link by our founder, Anthony Noel, to songs. Let us know if you have other suggestions.
- Monica & Molly’s Pornographic Adventures by Rose and Jeff Roby
- Shining Tower by Jeff Roby
- Make Your Case with Art! by Anthony Noel
4. Make your case with books and articles.
- Addams, Jane Bread and Peace in Time of War was first published in 1922 during the "Red Scare." By that time Jane Addams' pacifist efforts had adversely affected her popularity as an author and social reformer. "Peace and Bread in Time of War" is Addams' eighth book and the third to deal with her thoughts on pacifism. Though she was severely criticized for opposing the US entry into World War I and called "the most dangerous woman in America," later historians tend to be much more sympathetic towards her views. Interestingly enough, politicians as diverse as Chris Hedges and Barry Goldwater agree with Addams on World War I. (See writings by Goldwater and Hedges below for an agreement on World War I among this unlikely trio.)
- Ahabwe, Michael Tears of Resilience tells real stories from real Female Genital Mutilation survivors, focuses firmly on the realities of Female Genital Mutilation and teaches women how to reclaim their female bodies as a source of power and significance. Female Genital Mutilation survivors, feminists, mothers, attorneys, poets, medical health providers discuss struggles arising from genital mutilation and struggles of reclaiming their female bodies as a source of power and significance. More than recounting horrors, it also describes strategies for stopping it. It will be released and is gathering funding now.
- Boston, Robert The Most Dangerous Man in America This book chronicles the personal and political life of televangelist Pat Robertson including his bid for the Presidency on the Republican ticket in the primaries of 1988. Robertson lost the election but he created an influential coalition between the radical religious and the Republican Party that exists to this very day. It is the elephant in the room that neither Democrats nor progressives have adequately discussed and analyzed.
- Bronowski, Jacob The Ascent of Man (also a PBS series) Not a political book, but a good one that asks – and I think answers - the question, “What is man?” We have been through the fire before.
- Butler, Smedley D. War Is A Racket (The Profit That Fuels Warfare) a classic book by a life long Marine
- Chomsky, Noam How the World Works - a mix of history, analysis, economics
- Churchill, Winston Definitive Wit of Winston Churchill, edited by Richard M. Langworth Winston Churchill is not the first name that springs to mind when thinking about progressive heroes and perhaps not even the second. It is shocking how many aspects of western civilization he praises (trial by jury, habeas corpus) that have been eliminated. Many of his eloquent criticisms of Nazis would thus apply to us.
- Frank, Thomas Listen, Liberal Scott McLarty says, “Thomas Frank's book, "Listen, Liberal," reminds us that President Clinton didn't take the US in a different direction after the Reagan-Bush years. Instead, he fulfilled the Reagan revolution and enacted GOP proposals that the GOP couldn't have on its own. The five "longstanding Republican objectives" that Clinton accomplished were "NAFTA, the Crime Bill of 1994, welfare reform, the deregulation of banks and telecoms, and the balanced budget." Clinton might also have privatized Social Security if his negotiations with Newt Gingrich hadn't been interrupted by the Lewinsky scandal. This should remind us that Obama's biggest accomplishment, the Affordable Care Act, was fundamentally a Republican piece of legislation. The individual mandate, requiring the public to purchase health insurance from private companies, was introduced by the ultra-conservative Heritage Foundation and was widely endorsed by Repubs until Obama & Dems grabbed the idea in 2009. I recommend this book as a history of the Democratic Party and liberalism in the last three decades without illusions.”
- Fucks, Ralf Green Growth, Smart Growth We find ourselves at a crossroads between environmental disaster and a new industrial revolution: a shift from the ruthless exploitation of nature toward cooperation with it. Decoupling economic growth from environmental consumption is an ambitious goal, but also an achievable one. ‘Green Growth, Smart Growth’ outlines a way forward in this great transformation, and does so in the conviction that the dangers posed by climate change can be overcome through a new approach to economics, innovation and proactive policy making.
- Fukuyama, Francis State-Building – Fukuyama also wrote The End of History. Dealings with other countries are necessary parts of statehood and this book offers insights.
- Fuller, R. Buckminster In the 1930’s Bucky Fuller manually made an inventory of all the world’s resources and correctly calculated that we were doing so much more with less resources that we would reach a point when there would be enough to take care of everybody at a higher standard of living than anyone has known. He also determined that the paradigm shift would take place in about 1976, later shown to be accurate. The author said, "Selfishness is unnecessary. War is obsolete." We just need to catch up.
- George, Susan Whose Crisis, Whose Future – Crisis? Whose crisis? Today we are in the midst of a multifaceted crisis which touches the lives of everyone on the planet. Whether it's growing poverty and inequality or shrinking access to food and water, the collapse of global financial markets or the dire effects of climate change, every aspect of this crisis can be traced to a transnational neoliberal elite that has steadily eroded our rights and stripped us of power. And yet our world has never been so wealthy, and we have, right now, all the knowledge, tools and skills we need to build a greener, fairer, richer world. Such a breakthrough is not some far-fetched utopia, but an immediate, concrete possibility. Our future is in our hands.
- Giroux, Henry A. has written about our neoliberal direction and appeared on Bill Moyers. Information about his books, articles, and interviews are on his website at http://www.henryagiroux.com/
- Gladwell, Malcolm The Tipping Point and David and Goliath: Underdogs, Misfits, and the Art of Battling Giants Perhaps society is going along with little changing and then suddenly everything changes. Though Gladwell uses other examples, we can hope this might apply to what we are working for.
- Goldwater, Barry, With No Apologies Barry Goldwater was a conservative, but not a neocon. He objected against some of Nixon's acts of war, backed Bill Clinton's opening of military service to gays, and - I was amused to note - agreed with Chris Hedges on the role of international bankers in starting World War I. Some of his perceptions were incorrect because he did not recognize how society had changed, but many still are valid. He regarded bankers as second only to communism as a danger to our republic and right now it is hard to dispute him on that point. Before there were neolibs there were neocons and it is interesting to observe the beliefs of real conservatives.
- Guay, Mary CLIMATE CHANGE: Our Children Are in Danger by "Green Granny" about climate changes, its many interrelationships, and specifics where an individual can make a difference. The cover nicely summarizes by saying “For Lilly (her great Grandaughter), a clueless great-granny goes green.” Is this book really necessary? After all, there are plenty of scientific papers documenting what is happening and what needs to be done. I suggest it is necessary. The fossil fuel companies have been spending huge amounts of money on disinformation for decades focusing on states that are poor and uneducated. Science does not have an equivalent budget. The result is even small reasonable movement has been stalled. Mary Guay presents the human side of the argument, presents the many aspects of the problem in a clear manner, and presents what we can do as individuals. I like that she does not shy away from necessary government action. Individual actions may be necessary, but by themselves they are insufficient. Mary Guay also has a Facebook Page for current developments.
- Harvey, Andrew The Hope – A Guide to Sacred Activism also not a political book, but it does chronicle our decline and offer hope for the future for whatever path we choose to take.
- Hedges, Chris American Fascists Hedges is well qualified to give his international historical perspective on how fascist movements throughout the world have co-opted religion as part of their rise to power, and the reluctance of intellectual elites to address the issue. This reluctance allowed Hitler and Mussolini to rise to power. It also allowed the coalition of right-wing religious fanatics and the non-religious fiscal arm of the Republican Party to take over the U.S. House of Representatives in 2010. Chris Hedges sees an imminent threat from the false brand of Christianity peddled by the religious-right. Intellectual progressives would do well to heed his warning.
- Hedges, Chris Death of the Liberal Class -excellent book recommended by Anthony Noel describing what went wrong with liberals and democrats.
- Hedges, Chris In the Time of Trump, All We Have Is Each Other
- Heller, Henry The Capitalist University: The Transformations of Higher Education in the United States, 1945-2016 Higher education news today can more or less be boiled down to one sentence: the university is in crisis. Skyrocketing student debt, decreased public financing, the weakening of tenure, the rise of adjunct labor, battles over the value of the humanities, calls for skills focused instruction—all the problems besetting contemporary higher education in the United States are interrelated, and they can all be traced to one fact: campuses and classrooms are now battlegrounds in the struggle between knowledge for its own sake and commodified learning.
Henry Heller offers here a magisterial account of the modern university that shows exactly how we’ve reached this point. Taking readers from the early Cold War—when support for universities was support for capitalism—through the countless social, political, and educational changes of the ensuing decades, Heller reveals how American educational institutions have been forced to decide between teaching students to question the dominant order and helping to perpetuate it. And they’ve had to do so knowing that all the pressure politics and finance was pushing for the latter.
- Klein, Naomi The Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism "...while people were reeling from natural disasters, wars and economic upheavals, savvy politicians and industry leaders nefariously implemented policies that would never have passed during less muddled times." As Klein demonstrates, this reprehensible game of bait-and-switch isn't just some relic from the bad old days."
- Klein, Naomi This Changes Everything: Capitalism vs. The Climate The author shows and illustrates with many references why the climate crisis challenges us to abandon the unrestrained “free market” ideology we are now using. We will need to change or have change forced upon both us and future generations. Climate Change isn’t just another issue to be neatly filed between taxes and health care nor is it something that can be delayed until other issues - however worthy - are solved. The author also documents the inspiring movements that have already begun this process.
- Lessig, Lawrence Republic, Lost - As with the book Death of the Liberal Class, this book describes what went wrong with our republic and a way back for the individual with a conscience.
- Marker, Dennis Fifteen Steps to Corporate Feudalism: How the Rich Convinced America's Middle Class to eliminate Themselves Dennis Marker provides a step-by- step account of how and why the US middle class has been working harder than ever and is still losing ground. This examination of fifteen specific policies promoted by conservatives and the superrich—and implemented through the vice grip of fear, anger, and greed—reveals that the decline of the middle class is no accident.
Fifteen Steps to Corporate Feudalism
Fifteen Steps to Corporate Feudalism
How the Rich Convinced America’s Middle Class to Eliminate Themselves- See more at: http://thefifteensteps.com/#sthash.YGkiwX6Z.dpufFifteen Steps to Corporate Feudalism: How the Rich Convinced America's Middle Class to Eliminate ThemselvesFifteen Steps to Corporate Feudalism: How the Rich Convinced America's Middle Class Dennis Marker provides a step-by- step account of how and why the US middle class has been working harder than ever and is still losing ground. This examination of fifteen specific policies promoted by conservatives and the super-rich—and implemented through the vice grip of fear, anger, and greed—reveals that the decline of the middle class
- Martin, Isaac Rich People's Movements: Grassroots Campaigns to Untax the One Percent On tax day, April 15, 2010, hundreds of thousands of Americans took to the streets with signs demanding lower taxes on the richest one percent. But why? Rich people have plenty of political influence. Why would they need to publicly demonstrate for lower taxes-and why would anyone who wasn't rich join the protest on their behalf?
Isaac William Martin shows that such protests long predate the Tea Party of our own time. Ever since the Sixteenth Amendment introduced a Federal income tax in 1913, rich Americans have protested new public policies that they thought would threaten their wealth. But while historians have taught us much about the conservative social movements that reshaped the Republican Party in the late 20th century, the story of protest movements explicitly designed to benefit the wealthy is still little known. Rich People's Movements is the first book to tell that story, tracking a series of protest movements that arose to challenge an expanding welfare state and progressive taxation. Drawing from a mix of anti-progressive ideas, the leaders of these movements organized scattered local constituencies into effective campaigns in the 1920s, 1950s, 1980s, and our own era. Martin shows how protesters on behalf of the rich appropriated the tactics used by the Left-from the Populists and Progressives of the early twentieth century to the feminists and anti-war activists of the 1950s and 1960s. He explores why the wealthy sometimes cut secret back-room deals and at other times protest in the public square. He also explains why people who are not rich have so often rallied to their cause. For anyone wanting to understand the anti-tax activists of today, including notable defenders of wealth inequality like the Koch brothers, the historical account in Rich People's Movements is an essential guide.
- Martin, Jonathan edited EMPOWERING PROGRESSIVE THIRD PARTIES IN THE UNITED STATES: Defeating Duopoly, Advancing Democracy. See this fine book review at Book Review by Sondra Miller: EMPOWERING PROGRESSIVE THIRD PARTIES IN THE UNITED STATES.
- McBay, Keith, and Jensen Deep Green Resistance says there must be both an underground and above ground movement for change and describes strategies and organizations to reach environmental goals.
- Osborne, Erin What They Don't Teach You: Hundreds of teachers reveal what it's like working in public elementary schools today America’s public school system is under attack. Teachers on the front lines have been battered fighting to protect it and themselves. Years of unrealistic education reforms, a faltering national curriculum roll-out called Common Core, reduction in benefits, pay linked to test scores, the stripping away of professionalism...this is the new new reality teachers face. Teaching has never been an easy job and it’s becoming more difficult. Through exposition and humor, the entire landscape of the education system is revealed, including some shadowy figures that operate behind the scenes. See also Education
- Pawley, Howard Keep True: A Life in Politics Howard Pawley, former Premier of Manitoba (1981-88), led the province during one of the most turbulent periods in its history. His government successfully implemented social democratic policies that ran counter to the neo-conservative trends that dominated the period, including job creation, human rights and marital property legislation, and labor reform.
- Payne, Robert Massacre: The Tragedy of Bangladesh and the Phenomenon of Mass Slaughter Throughout History February 1973
- Penner, Roland A Glowing Dream: A Memoir (available as a book or for download to a Kindle reader or other electronic device) We should consider the experiences of the Canadian New Democratic Party which replaced the Liberal Party because it – like our Democratic Party – became complacent and corrupt.
- Perkins, John Confessions of an Economic Hitman Tempting (and fitting) as it is to blame Clintonites for the disappearance of America’s manufacturing sector, the United States had sown the seeds of its economic decline long before Robert Reich’s globalization push. We’re reaping that harvest now, as the few companies which remain here cut wages, abuse workers and destroy the environment. You can read a firsthand account of how the U.S. imposed its will abroad through economic blackmail, by a man (John Perkins) who did the deed for years and later came clean. For anyone still convinced that the U.S. is a force for good in developing countries, this book is a real eye-opener.
- Perkins, John New Confessions of an Economic Hitman The original version of this astonishing tell-all book spent 73 weeks on the New York Times bestseller list, has sold more than 1.25 million copies, and has been translated into 32 languages.New Revelations: Featuring 15 explosive new chapters, this expanded edition of Perkins's classic bestseller brings the story of economic hit men (EHMs) up to date and, chillingly, home to the US. Over40 percent of the book is new, including chapters identifying today's EHMs and a detailed chronology extensively documenting EHM activity since the first edition was published in 2004.
- Piketty, Thomas Capital in the Twenty-First Century The author documents the growing inequality in the United States and ties it to fiscal policy. He illustrates with 200 years of data to show we are on the wrong track.
- Potter,Will Green is the New Red: An Insider's Account of a Social Movement Under Siege Like the Red Scare, this "Green Scare" is about fear and intimidation, and Will Potter outlines the political, legal, and public relations strategies that threaten even acts of nonviolent civil disobedience with the label of "eco-terrorism."
- Power, Samantha A Problem from Hell: America in the Age of Genocide (Pulitzer Prize Winner) Why do American leaders who vow "never again" repeatedly fail to stop genocide?
- Press, Bill Buyer's Remorse: How Obama Let Progressives Down "The most transparent administration in history" (another of Obama's discarded '07-08 campaign promises) became, almost from Day One, the most secretive and flip-floppy govt. ever. Reporters have, like whistleblowers serving the public good, been subject to persecution, prosecution, threatened with prison, and worse.
- Ravitch, Diane Reign of Error: The Hoax of the Privatization Movement and the Danger to America's Public Schools
Author Diane Ravitch has written many fine books about education. See also Education
- Roberts, Paul Craig The Failure of Laissez Faire Capitalism and Economic Dissolution of the West This very readable book by a distinguished economist, Wall Street Journal editor, and Assistant Secretary of the US Treasury is a major challenge both to economic theory and to media explanations of the ongoing 21st century economic crisis. The one percent have pulled off an economic and political revolution. By offshoring manufacturing and professional service jobs, US corporations destroyed the growth of consumer income, the basis of the US economy, leaving the bulk of the population mired in debt. Deregulation was used to concentrate income and wealth in fewer hands and financial firms in corporations “too big to fail,” removing financial corporations from market discipline and forcing taxpayers in the US and Europe to cover bankster losses. Environmental destruction has accelerated as economists refuse to count the exhaustion of nature’s resources as a cost and as corporations impose the cost of their activities on the environment and on third parties who do not share in the profits. This is the book to read for those who want to understand the mistakes that are bringing the West to its knees.
- Ross, Carne The Leaderless Revolution – describes the coming changes such as the Occupy Movement and helping them along, also the founder of Independent Diplomat
- Sagan, Carl The Demon-Haunted World, Science as a Candle in the Dark This book seems even more relevant and important now than when it was published. Both factions of the Uniparty seem to believe that strong personal belief in the case of republicans - or soundbites in the case of democrats - can substitute for science. Cosmos was also an excellent book and series.
- Scheer, Robert “The Great American Stickup: How Reagan Republicans and Clinton Democrats Enriched Wall Street While Mugging Main Street” details the perversion of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. This is particularly relevant to explain the connection between Clinton “progressives” and the 2008 housing meltdown that impoverished millions.
- Schneider, Mercedes K. A Chronicle of Echoes: Who's Who in the Implosion of American Public Education "Corporate reform" is not reform at all. Instead, it is the systematic destruction of the foundational American institution of public education. The primary motivation behind this destruction is greed. Public education in America is worth almost a trillion dollars a year. Whereas American public education is a democratic institution, its destruction is being choreographed by a few wealthy, well-positioned individuals and organizations. This book investigates and exposes the handful of people and institutions that are often working together to become the driving force behind destroying the community public school. See also Education
- Selfa, Lance The Democrats, A Critical History (Updated edition) Offering a broad historical perspective, Selfa shows how the Democratic Party has time and again betrayed the aspirations of ordinary people while pursuing an agenda favorable to Wall Street and U.S. imperial ambitions. He examines the relationship between party leaders and social movements, from the civil rights struggle to the movement to end the Iraq war; reveals the unhappy marriage between U.S. labor and the “party of the people;” and assesses the mixed record of attempts to build a third party alternative. Further, Selfa argues that the Democrats’ record of backing the rich and breaking promises to its voting base is not a recent departure from an otherwise laudable past, but results from its role as one of two parties serving the interests of the U.S. establishment.
- Spencer, Robert Complete Infidel's Guide to ISIS 2015. This takes a hard look at ISIS. One should also not forget earlier U.S. support of ISIS. Our record of picking allies and enemies has not been good.
- Stepnowski, Frank Teaching Sucks - But We Love It Anyway! A little insight into the Profession You Think You Know This is important because public education is under a fierce attack. See also Education
- Stockdale, James, Courage Under Fire: Testing Epictetus's Doctrines in a Laboratory of Human Behavior Epictetus was a slave born in about 50 C.E. (A.D.) who suffered greatly and became a Stoic philosopher. His philosophy aided James Stockdale as a P.O.W. and it may aid us as we face formidable and perhaps impossible odds to do what is right.
- Stockdale, Jim and Sybil, In Love and War There are two reasons this book by a Naval Aviator and P.O.W. is relevant. The first is that the reasons for the Vietnam War were fabricated by the United States. See paged 24-25 and 168. For later fabrications to war see Continuous Continous Wars The second reason this book is relevant is it illustrates the need for unity, something the "circular firing squad" left is in dire need of.
- Straus, William and Howe, Neil The Fourth Turning This book could be used for planning a strategy for appealing to voters.
- Sun Tzu, The Art of War seems to be increasingly relevant. Written in the 6th century BC, Napoleon, Mae Zedong, General Vo Nguyen Giap and General Douglas MacArthur all claimed to have learned from it. While the United States may be the most powerful nation militarily in the world, it is decreasingly successful in fulfilling long term stated objectives. Either our objective is perpetual war or we should be more aware of the tactics used against us.
- Thompson, Hunter S. Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72 is instructive on how both parties merged. Thompson is absolutely brilliant when it comes to uncovering, analyzing, and indicting the structure that has put Big Money in charge. The last 50 pages are the most instructive dissection of what went wrong for McGovern - and how the Democratic Party ultimately killed the peace movement. If you have an interest in learning exactly how far the Democrats have gone in the past - sabotaging the candidacy of their own party's popularly-nominated Presidential nominee - and to remove any hope you might still hold that someone other than the party's pre-ordained candidate will somehow be able to bear the party's standard again, I highly recommend this book which outlines in full, irrefutable detail how the Democrats blocked George McGovern's path to the White House through behind-the-scenes manipulation of his vice-presidential candidate options and outright sabotage. Thompson's book is even today required reading in most journalism schools - it is that groundbreaking. Thompson concluded back then that "There is really no hope of accomplishing anything genuine new or different in American politics until the Democratic Party is done away with."
- Thurman, Robert Inner Revolution: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Real Happiness It is difficult to maintain a positive mental attitude in these times, but this book helps one maintain a healthy balance.
Torres-Spelliscy, Ciara Corporate Citizen?: An Argument for the Separation of Corporation and State (Ciara Torres-Spelliscy is a professor at Stetson Law School.) Over time, corporations have engaged in an aggressive campaign to dramatically enlarge their political and commercial speech and religious rights through strategic litigation and extensive lobbying. At the same time, many large firms have sought to limit their social responsibilities. For the most part, courts have willingly followed corporations down this path. But interestingly, corporations are meeting resistance from many quarters including from customers, investors, and lawmakers. Corporate Citizen? explores this resistance and offers reforms to support these new understandings of the corporation in contemporary society.
- Townsend, Robert Up the Organization is a management classic I quoted often when I was writing on management strategies for small businesses. Robert Townsend ran Avis when there was still real competition in the car rental industry and he coined the famous "We Try Harder" slogan. This is just a terrific book and may be the most socialist thing that has ever come out of corporate America.
- Turse, Nick Kill Anything That Moves: The Real American War in Vietnam (American Empire Project) Americans have long been taught that events such as the notorious My Lai massacre were isolated incidents in the Vietnam War, carried out by "a few bad apples." But as award-winning journalist and historian Nick Turse demonstrates in this groundbreaking investigation, violence against Vietnamese noncombatants was not at all exceptional during the conflict. Rather, it was pervasive and systematic, the predictable consequence of orders to "kill anything that moves." Drawing on more than a decade of research in secret Pentagon files and extensive interviews with American veterans and Vietnamese survivors, Turse reveals for the first time how official policies resulted in millions of innocent civilians killed and wounded. In shocking detail, he lays out the workings of a military machine that made crimes in almost every major American combat unit all but inevitable. Kill Anything That Moves takes us from archives filled with Washington's long-suppressed war crime investigations to the rural Vietnamese hamlets that bore the brunt of the war; from boot camps where young American soldiers learned to hate all Vietnamese to bloodthirsty campaigns like Operation Speedy Express, in which a general obsessed with body counts led soldiers to commit what one participant called "a My Lai a month.
Van Buren, Peter We Meant Well: How I Helped Lose the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of the Iraqi People (American Empire Project) We Meant Well is his eyewitness account of the civilian side of the surge―that surreal and bollixed attempt to defeat terrorism and win over Iraqis by reconstructing the world we had just destroyed. Leading a State Department Provincial Reconstruction Team on its quixotic mission, Van Buren details, with laser-like irony, his yearlong encounter with pointless projects, bureaucratic fumbling, overwhelmed soldiers, and oblivious administrators secluded in the world's largest embassy, who fail to realize that you can't rebuild a country without first picking up the trash.
- West, Cornel and Smiley, Tavis The Rich and the Rest of Us: A Poverty Manifesto With 150 million Americans persistently poor or near poor, the highest numbers in over five decades, Smiley and West argue that now is the time to confront the underlying conditions of systemic poverty in America before it is too late. While their conclusions are apt and the book is worth reading, it is unfortunate that neither author can bring himself to hold the Democratic Party accountable.
- Wilkinson and Pickett The Spirit Level – Why Greater Equality Makes Societies Stronger This book documents with a series of graphs and explanations why greater equality is good for all – not just the poor.
- Woodard, Colin American Nations: A History of the Eleven Rival Regional Cultures of North America As the culture wars rage on, it seems the America we all learned about in elementary school - the “melting pot” where people of diverse cultures assimilate into a homogeneous, harmonious society - is based more on feel-good propaganda than research-supported fact. Colin Woodard’s exhaustive, engaging study of the eleven cultures which even now dominate our continent sanctions that instinctive conclusion. American Nations is the perfect book for any politics junkie, but it’s much more than that. A guide to understanding “how anybody can think like that,” it explains in a clear, entertaining, and sometimes downright funny style just how untied these "United" States truly are. Perhaps most strikingly it raises the question: Why do we try so hard to look, to the rest of the world, like something we’ve never been?
5. Make your case with radio.
- Progressive News Network
- Wild, Wild Left Radio
- If 100,000 People Show Up for a Protest and the Media Fails to Report It…
6. Make your case with videos, movies, and memes.
What the Economic Crisis Really Means (animation) is an excellent 12 minute animation that illustrates how we are on the wrong side of several economic and environmental trends and what we can do about it.
Because it is easy to get discouraged, perhaps this presentation by Chris Hedges is his best in this five minute talk on hope at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kG98ALgfSE
- Here is a talk Chris Hedges gave to the Green party at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8H0ty327o0&feature=youtu.be He is absolutely right in asserting that the time for discussion is over.
- Chris Hedges talked about Sacrifice Zones” and his book mentioned below Days of Destruction, Days of Revolt here at http://billmoyers.com/segment/chris-hedges-on-capitalism%E2%80%99s-%E2%80%98sacrifice-zones%E2%80%99/
- In 2013 Chris Hedges did this video Calling All Rebels at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xioLxDsR6o8
- An entertaining two minute animation that contains more than just a grain of truth. http://billmoyers.com/2013/06/06/you-vs-corporations/
- Obamabot vs. Thinking Person: Indefinite Detention at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rMh4Vzztcw
- Peace On Earth. Classic Christmas cartoon. MGM 1939 at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8stkqssLYc
- Ed Asner narrates 'Tax the Rich: An animated fairy tale' at http://www.mrctv.org/videos/ed-asner-narrates-tax-rich-animated-fairy-tale
- Kiefer Sutherland introduces a humorous animation called Mouseland about the founding of the NDP narrated by his grandfather at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqpFm7zAK90
- Bill Moyers “Inequality for All” at http://billmoyers.com/episode/full-show-inequality-for-all/
- The Gas Rush at http://thoughtmaybe.com/the-gas-rush/
- Frack Off at http://frack-off.org.uk/fracking-hell/watch-the-film/
- Fracking at http://frack-off.org.uk/fracking-hell/watch-the-film/
- The Gas Rush - http://thoughtmaybe.com/the-gas-rush/
- Study Reveals Dangerous Levels of Radioactivity near Fracking Waste Sites at http://therealnews.com/t2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=74&jumival=10841
- Split Estate at http://thoughtmaybe.com/split-estate/
- The Big Fix at http://thoughtmaybe.com/the-big-fix/
- Enbridge Line 9 Hearings Met With Resistance in Montreal, As Pipeline Plan Provokes Wider Concern at at http://therealnews.com/t2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=74&jumival=10869&updaterx=2013-10-14+17%3A41%3A00
- First-Ever Footage of Aging Tar Sands Pipelines Beneath Great Lakes at http://ecowatch.com/2013/10/15/footage-of-tar-sands-pipelines-beneath-great-lakes/
Petropolis: Aerial Perspectives on the Alberta Tar Sands at http://thoughtmaybe.com/petropolis/
To the Last Drop at http://thoughtmaybe.com/to-the-last-drop/
Stanford Professor on Letterman: Powering Entire World on Renewable Energy No Problem at http://ecowatch.com/2013/10/25/stanford-professor-letterman-powering-entire-world-renewable-energy/
- Another U.S. Whistleblower Behind Bars? Investor Jailed After Exposing Corrupt Azerbaijani Oil Deal at http://www.democracynow.org/2013/10/15/another_us_whistleblower_behind_bars_investor
- Amazing Serial Killer Survival Story at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZKVSNjlSp0#t=18
Bizarre scene in Toledo: Cop holds entire family on ground with Taser - The raging officer terrorized the family and then threw a witness' phone to the ground. at http://www.policestateusa.com/2013/bizarre-scene-toledo-cop-holds-entire-family-ground-taser/
Cherokee County teen shot by police sniper, parents speak out at http://www.cbsatlanta.com/story/19917831/teen-shot-by-police-sniper-parents-talk-only-to-cbs-atlanta-news
- Dallas chief drops charge against Rylie man shot by officer at http://www.dallasnews.com/news/local-news/20131017-video-shows-dallas-officer-shooting-man-standing-with-arms-at-his-side.ece?nclick_check=1Dallas Cops Shoot Mentally Ill Man Standing in the Street
- Dallas County Now Has Its Very Own Bulletproof, "Mine-Protected" Military SUV at http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfairpark/2013/09/dallas_county_now_has_its_very.php
- Dallas police shoot mentally ill man standing in the street
- Detectives Kill 80 Year Old Man in his Own House because they smelled something
- Drunken off-duty deputy tried to arrest woman at bar when she resisted his advances
- Elsipogtog: RCMP move in on peaceful protesters 17 October
- Federal Cops Rip American Flag From Veteran’s Hands During DC Protest (VIDEO)
- Florida Police Called To Home To Deal With Suicidal Man And Shoot Him To Death After He Brandishes Scissors
- 'Gestapo' tactics meet senior citizens at Yellowstone
- Is Homeland Security Preparing for the Next Wall Street Collapse?
- Florida Cop Tasers Cuffed Girl Who Became Braindead
- As A ResultMissouri Police Arrest Man for Recording Arrest (Updated)
- OUTRAGEOUS! Cops Trick Disabled Teens into Buying Drugs! Targeted special needs kids! (VIDEO)
- Philly Cop Stops Black Man, Tells Him ‘All You Do Is Weaken the F---ing Country’
- Police Beat Man That Just Learned His Son Committed Suicide
Police in California receive death threats after killing man’s dog
Police shot unarmed man, drove an armored truck through his door when he did not exit his property on command
- A Virginia man loses his family and then his life thanks to the swift justice of the local police department.
- Police smell meth, raid home, kill 80-year-old man, find no meth
- Surveillance Video of Dallas Police Shooting Contradicts Police Report on Incident: “Obviously there is much more to this situation than that video”
- Texas man was beaten by police, nearly drowned after being busted for sleeping in his own car without a permit - "Of course it looks terrible, but it is what it is, and they were making a lawful arrest."
- Undercover Police Operation Caught Planting Drugs In Small Business
- VIDEO: FL Cops Break Mother’s Cheekbone During Violent DUI Arrest
- COMMUNITY VOICES | Idle No More- Occupy MN- AIM Protest at Canadian Consulate in Minneapolis.
- The Untold Story- Till Now22 Year Old With Down Syndrome Beaten By The Police For "Bulge In Pants"
- That Was Only A Colostomy Bag!
- When Did ‘To Serve and Protect’ Become ‘To Seize and Profit’?
- Why did Officer Michael Hart Shatter this Woman's Face?
- Guantánamo Bay: The Hunger Strikes - video animation
- Meet Your Taxpayer-Subsidized Farm Bill Billionaires!
- The Pathology of the Rich - Chris Hedges on Reality Asserts Itself
- The Simplest Explanation Of How To Get Out Of This Jobs Crisis I've Seen Yet
- Breaking ’08 Pledge, Leaked Trade Doc Shows Obama Wants to Help Corporations Avoid Regulations
- The Top Secret Trade Deal You Need to Know About
- Over Easy: Capitalist Withdrawal and the Trans Pacific Partnership (TPP)Trade in Services Agreement Moves Forward, But How Will It Affect Consumers?
- Unemployment Drops Mostly Because People Stop Looking: The New Normal in the Age of Black Political Empowerment
- Yes, Virginia, There is a Difference Between the Two Political Parties
- Milwaukee Voucher School Shut Down as Republicans Introduce Bill to Expand Private Charter Schools
- They're College Grads. They're Doing Real Work. But They Can't Even Make Minimum Wage?
- Guy's Climate Chaos Presentation
- Just Like Bush: US Under Obama, Thumbs Its Nose at the World on Climate Change
- The Climate Mapping Tool You've Been Waiting For
- The No-Nonsense Guide to Climate Science
- We've Reached The Point Where Climate Change Deniers Need To Be Reminded That It Snows Every Year
- David Suzuki's Fukushima Warning Is Dire And Scary (VIDEO)
- Fukushima Nuclear Reactor unit 4 is sinking Lord help us all.
- ☢ Fukushima: Beyond Urgent
- ☢Scientists Link Spike in Thyroid Disease to Fukushima Disaster - Nuclear expert and researcher Joseph Mangano explains his research in connecting the increase of hypothyroidism in newborns on the West coast to the Fukushima nuclear disaster
- Special Report: Help wanted in Fukushima: Low pay, high risks and gangsters
- Ten Most Radioactive Places on Earth Mapped Out [GRAPHIC]
- This 11 Minute Video Shows Us Everything We Need to Know about Fukushima
- The Way Forward (environmental)
- The Cost of Carbon
- Wendell Berry on His Hopes for Humanity
- Bill Moyers Essay: The End Game for Democracy
- Bill Moyers Essay: The United States of Inequality
- Richard Wolff on Fighting for Economic Justice and Fair Wages
- Henry Giroux on Zombie Politics
- Vandana Shiva on the Problem with Genetically Modified Seeds
- Rule from the Shadows - The Psychology of Power - Part 1
- Min. Wage Workers Worse Off Than Servants In 1910
- More people homeless in NYC, LA
- Hedges: Jeremy Hammond Exposed State's Plan to Criminalize Democratic Dissent - Christopher Hedges, on the sentencing of Jeremy Hammond, says there will be no free press without figures like Hammond and Manning
- Guernica Films: Measure of a LifeGiving Thanks For Whistleblowers, Leakers, Old and New MaroonsAn Off-Duty Cop Gets Thrown Up Against A Wall And FriskedCop Sexually assaults woman then arrests her for questioning it in front of Judge.
- Cops savagely beat woman on video. Found Not Guilty. Taxpayers held liable instead.
- Court Blocks NYPD Stop-and-Frisk Reforms, Removes Judge Who Found Program Unconstitutional
- Dad arrested after trying to pick kids up from school on foot instead of in a car
- Absolutely unimaginable this could happen in America
- Man Forced To Have Colonoscopy And Enemas By Cops Looking For Nonexistent Drugs (VIDEO)
- Father arrested for trying to pick up his special needs children from school
- Full Show: Incarceration Nation
- Impatient NC cops allegedly shoot mentally ill teen: ‘We don’t have time for this’
- In jail for being in debt
- In Miami Gardens, store video catches cops in the act
- Jailed for Life for Stealing a $159 Jacket? 3,200 Serving Life Without Parole for Nonviolent Crimes
- Kelly Thomas: Whatever you do to the least of my brothers …
- Obama & Holder Win Court Case, Keep Thouands in Prison Under Unfair 80s Crack Sentencing Laws - A Black Agenda Radio commentary by BAR managing editor Bruce A. Dixon
- Louisiana Police stun father as son died in house fire
- Man gives change to homeless person, is handcuffed and held by police for an hour
- New Mexico Police Spray Mace in Woman's Vagina to "Punish" Her (Video)
- Nissan Leaf owner arrested for taking 5 cents of energy without asking
- North Texas Drivers Stopped at Roadblock Asked for Saliva, Blood - Fort Worth police apologize for its role in federal survey
- NYPD Officer Risks His Job to Speak Out Against "Stop-and-Frisk" Targeting of People of Color
- Parking violation turns into police assault caught on video – lawsuit
- Police Brutality Backfires: The People Will Not Stand Idly By as Lone Man is Beaten once Subdued.
- Police Shoot and Kill a Man for Watering Lawn, Family Awarded 6.5 Million
- Live Streamer Records Own Arrest During Kelly Thomas Protest; Footage Survives Despite Camera Confiscation (Updated)Police use Taser on grieving father mourning son's death
- SF cops beat cyclist, passersby trying to intervene: 20-year-old black cyclist was hospitalized by SFPD, after he was stopped for riding a bike on the sidewalk
- Texas Student Fatally Shot by Campus Police After Traffic Stop
- The Murder of Kelly ThomasThis is why people run from the police!!!Two Years after being shot at Occupy Oakland, Vet Scott Olsen is healing - and suing
- U.S. Police have killed over 5,000 civilians since 9-11.
- UTC Student Pepper-Sprayed and Arrested for Challenging Right-Wing Christian Preacher! (Video)
- VIDEO: Police Detained Ramarley Graham’s Grandmother for Hours After Officer Shot Teen Dead
- We're Being Robbed But The People Doing It Will Never Go To Prison
- With 2.3 Million People Incarcerated in the US, Prisons Are Big Business - Meet the corporations who are profiting off our prison system.
Seattle's Socialist City Councilor Offers Radical Response to Obama Speech - In rebuttal to State of the Union, Seattle's Kshama Sawant challenges key assumptions and policies presented in presidential addressSocialist in Seattle: Kshama Sawant's Revolution, The Indigenous Fight Against Keystone XL (also with Chris Hedges)Here are 4 videos on the Progressive Power Forum held in Minneapolis, MN in February 2014.
PT1: http://youtu.be/f1-oyEGEM9APT2: http://youtu.be/-g_L4VxNc5gPT3: http://youtu.be/pY8zVwOg3JIPT4: http://youtu.be/nNDwzR73Y1Q
- A Science Icon Died 17 Years Ago. In His Last Interview, He Made A Warning That Gives Me Goosebumps.
- Chris Hedges - Our Only Hope Will Come Through Rebellion
- Moral Monday Georgia Arrestees Speak Out
- Deficit Is Falling Because Of Government Austerity, Not Economic Recovery
- Saint Ayn Rand Visits the Day After Christmas!
- How 'We The People' Became 'We The Corporations,' In Under 4 Minutes
- Chris Hedges: The Myth of Human Progress and the Collapse of Complex Societies (VIDEO)
- Arctic Death Spiral and the Methane Time Bomb
- Elon Musk Thoughts on transitioning to 100% renewable energy
- Full Show: The War on Climate Scientists
- Tim DeChristopher Video Interview: Climate Change Is The Context of Our Times
- Watch 63 years of climate change in one horrifying GIF
- Bill Moyers Essay: When Congressmen Deny Climate Change and Evolution
- ABSURDITY TODAY! Big Coal: Biting The Hands That Built Them.
- Episode 47 with Julianna ForlanoThe Untold Story of the BP Gulf Disaster
- The World According to Monsanto (video documentary)
- Watch: Brief Music Video Offers Everything You Need to Know About Fracking
- Former MSNBC Host Told Not to Warn Public About Fukushima
- Fukushima The Coming Global Disaster
- New TEPCO Report Shows Damage to Unit 3 Fuel Pool MUCH Worse Than That at Unit 4 (video)
- Nuclear Power: Their Profits, Our Risks
- Video: H.Clinton on Snowden, As Bad as It Gets
- "Sucker Punch" - Keystone Truth Video
- Honor The Earth: Triple Crown of Pipeline Rides Video
- WATCH: This Is One Time-Lapse Big Oil Doesn't Want You To See
- The State's War on Sustainable Communities
- American Fascism: Ralph Nader Decries How Big Business Has Taken Control of the U.S. Government
- Bill Moyers: The NH Rebellion Walk
- The unstoppable walk to political reform
- Rootstrikers TED Talk remix
- Matt Taibbi: 'Hands Down' Bush Was Tougher On Corporate America Than Obama (VIDEO)
- Glen Ford: Corporate Assault on Public Education
- Full Show: Public Schools for Sale?
- The Empathic Civilisation
- Truthdig Event: Amy Goodman, Chris Hedges, Robert Scheer: Media Meltdown in a Time of Crisis
- Just How Broken Is America's Infrastructure?
- VIDEO: To Prison For Poverty
- Corporate Power Timeline
- WATCH: Huge Student Protest Of Pipeline Ends With Hundred Of Arrests, But Media Is A No-Show
- State Dept's Jen Psaki grilled over 'infringement of press freedom
- 'VIDEO: Slavyansk Still Being Bombed
- 'Double dealing': How Pakistan hid Osama Bin Laden from the U.S. and fueled the war in Afghanistan
- An honest Israeli Jew tells the Real Truth about Israel
- Bill Moyers Essay: What We Can Learn From Lawrence of Arabia
- Buying the War: How Big Media Failed Us
- Operations Brother’s Keeper & Protective Edge
- Slavyansk Still Being Bombed
- Clips from Oscar-Nominated Documentary Dirty Wars
- Obama's "Dirty Wars" Exposed at Sundance
- Peace Propaganda And The Promised Land: U.S. Media & the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict (2004)
- Syria: The Crime and the Criminals
- Unmanned: America's Drone Wars
- Unbelievable! Police shooting against protesters inside a HOTEL in the middle of Augusta Street
- 12/17/13, Teresa Ramirez Speaks About the Killing of Her Son by Oxnard Police Dept
- 4th of July DUI Checkpoint - Drug Dogs, Searched without Consent, while Innocent
- California police caught on camera fatally shooting man
- Cops Caught on Video Kicking and Punching a Handcuffed Man Lying Face Down
- Cut on Camera: Warren cop slices off young mother's hair weave
- GRAPHIC: Raw video of arrest released after man dies in Moore police custody
- Kids For Cash: Inside One of the Nation’s Most Shocking Juvenile Justice Scandals
- Kids Today Have It Hard. When I Was In Grade School, 'Zero Tolerance' Meant An Hour Of Detention.
- Miami Police Shot Protester, then laugh about it
- Police Strip-Search 3 People in Public, Force Woman to Remove Tampon While Taunting Her
- RELEASE US - a short film on police brutality by Charles Shaw (feat. Random Rab)
- The Numbers Behind Why America Has So Many People In Prison
- The State's War on Sustainable Communities
- Vid: Police Shoot, Kill 80-Year-Old Man In His Own Bed, Don't Find the Drugs They Were Looking For
- Video Shows Man Suffering Deliverance-Style Treatment by Small-town Texas Cops
- Warning: Graphic footage-Murder of Ernest Duenez Junior
- .wmvWhite NYPD Cops Rejoice after Beating up Black teens after botched Stop and Frisk!
- VIDEO: 25-year-old dies after pepper spray, struggle with security at Northland Mall
- Caught On Cell Phone: LA Cop Punches Special Needs Girl In The Face On A Bus!
- Video: Pinal County Sheriff's Deputy Fatally Shoots Man Who Had His Hands in the Air
- War Gear Flows to Police Departments
- 16 year old honor student castrated by police!
- Woman Dies as Deputy Writes Ticket
- Woman suing, claims she was injured by police officer who arrested her, put her in jail for recording traffic stop
- How Israel Uses Twitter, Facebook & Tinder to Legitimize Murder | Brainwash UpdateMust Watch – Chris Hedges speech about Gaza – Shame On You Nawaz Sharif, Altaf Hussain & Asif Zardari
- Chris Hedges beautiful speech on Gaza #FreePalestine
- Detroit Water Shutoffs
- Chris Hedges - America Is Slowly Crumbling
- The Whole Problem With Education In America, Explained By One Teacher In 6 Minutes
- (2014) "Chris Hedges God's Covenant in the Promised Land" Gaza Rally in NYC (video)
- Raw footage of Israeli sniper killing wounded civilian
- Chris Hedges - America Is Slowly Crumbling
- (video)Israeli Attack on Civilian Apartments
- Gaza conflict: Drone footage reveals extent of damage
- How Israel Uses Twitter, Facebook & Tinder to Legitimize Murder | Brainwash Update
- Israel used banned weapons on Gaza
- Raw footage of Israeli sniper killing wounded civilian
- Reel Bad Arabs: How Hollywood Vilifies a People (2007)
- Detroit Water Crisis is a Prelude to the Privatization of Water
- Climate change increases possibility of megadrought in Southwestern U.S.
- 63 Years of Global Warming in 14 Seconds
- VIDEO: Detroit Water Crisis is a Prelude to the Privatization of Water
- Chris Hedges, award winning journalist
- The Gaza War Map
- Cop Found Not Guilty After Being Caught on Video Stomping a Subdued Man’s Face In
- Chris Hedges’ Interview With Noam Chomsky on Empire, the Liberal Class and More
- The 2015 Federal Budget Ended Pension Protections for Millions of Retirees (Videos)
- Nader and Fein at HLS: "America's Lawless Empire: The Constitutional Crimes of Bush and Obama"
- Gallup chairman admits unemployment rate is BS [VIDEO]
- The Ultimate Corruption - A Black Agenda Radio commentary by executive editor Glen Ford
Enron Billionaire Arnold Has A Problem with Librarians' Pensions - Animated Video
Now I Get It: California's water crisisVideo Friday: Where is the SEC on Dark Money?
- A Superhero to Fight the Dark Money Menace
- Michael Parenti - No War But The Class War
- Obama's Many WarsCost Comparison Healthcare and Fossil Fuel Subsidies
- Howie Hawkins Green Party NY Gov campaign wrap up.
- Health Costs
- Inequality of TaxesSocial Security VideoThe Indentured Generation
- New Amnesty Report Visualizes Israel's War Crimes
- Obama Trades Transparency
- Rachel Botsman gives a TED Talk "The Case for Collaborative Consumption." I believe it has application to political movements. http://www.ted.com/talks/rachel_botsman_the_case_for_collaborative_consumption
- "Surviving Progress" a 2011 film available on Netflix
- "Zeitgeist: Addendum" a 2008 film available on Netflix
- Meme on US history of supporting the wrong side
- Meme on coming police state
- meme on environment
- meme on civil rights and government power
- meme on education
- meme on corporate vs. student bankruptcy
- meme on taxes of big corporations
- meme on corporate overreach
- meme on other country's health care
- meme on corporate taxes and refunds
- meme on need for election and corporate reform
- meme on USPS
- Basic Economics cartoon
- Competitive Bankruptcies meme
- Dark Money, Voter Intimidation, and Tech article by law professor
- Iceland vs. US Banks meme
- Lesser of Two Evils?
- Medical Bankruptcies Meme
- Advantages of Having More than Two Parties meme
- Continuous War meme
- Corruption and Whistleblowers - meme
- How To Let Go of the World A 2016 movie on communities around the world and how they are affected and fighting climate change.
- You might be able to use this illustration to show climate change from prehistoric times.
- 13th - This 2016 Netflix documentary, scholars, activists and politicians analyze the criminalization of African Americans and the U.S. prison boom
- 'Brilliant' Climate Change Cartoon Goes Viral After Elon Musk, John Green Share It on Twitter
- Gaza Picture
- Black Lives Matter
7. Make your case with the Unified Platform.
The ten goals of the Unified Platform is the basis we use for endorsing candidates or organizations. If either strays from the ten goals we loudly disavow them. Below is a summary. The full text is on this website.
1. Peace First
A world of increasing population, diminishing resources, and unstable climate is a world poised for conflict.
2. Full Employment at a Living Wage
We hold that reordering our national priorities to make peace, the welfare of all people, and the protection of our planet our topmost concerns will result in long-term Economic Sustainability.
3. Saving the Environment
We envision a sustainable society that recognizes our interdependence with the planet and utilizes resources such that future generations will benefit rather than suffer from the practices of past generations.
4. A Real Social Safety Net
We stand firmly in support of strengthening, expanding, and protecting Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, and unemployment insurance by any means necessary.
5. Medicare for All
We support Medicare for All as the single most effective approach to cutting runaway healthcare costs, and providing high-quality health care for all Americans.
6. Fair Trade
We support reformulation of all international trade relations and commerce practices in order to protect the labor, human rights, economy, environment, and domestic industry of this nation, and those of partner and recipient nations.
7. Human Rights/Civil Liberties
We are dedicated to protecting, respecting, and expanding the rights and civil liberties of all people.
8. Election Reform
We support full public financing of elections in order to remove undue influence from political campaigns. Further, we recognize and are committed to ending the myriad opportunities for fraud which now exist in our electoral system.
9. Corporate Accountability/Reform
National and multinational corporations have become too powerful. We must reduce the economic and political clout of corporations, improve corporate citizenship, increase executive responsibility, and require corporations to serve society and democracy while safeguarding the environment.
10. Infrastructure Investment/Ownership
We support the establishment of a publicly funded infrastructure bank to capitalize large-scale physical projects and direct funding toward associated research and development.